So. Got my visa. Big-send off. Lots of goodbyes. I finally get to New Zealand. Celebration!
I really didn't think I'd be on the OTHER side of goodbye so soon. But here I am.
My friend Rachel and I grew up at Eastern Hills Church (since about '95). In 2008 we both felt called to come to NZ. Rachel sold all she had and left immediately. I took a longer path & went through an organization building a support team. All in all it ended up taking 2 years for me to arrive. And I finally get here. And. She. Leaves. She left on Monday. I am so bummed... "gutted" as the kiwis say. So sad!! I never imagined New Zealand without her. She has such a special way about her (her friends here can attest to it). We have grown together these past few years while she's been here. And I expected to be together in NZ! Talking about our past and having adventures in the future. But she left. She is following God again and its taking her away. Which I love and respect about her. But she was such a strong representation of home here in NZ. So my friend, and the comfort of home that she represented have left. I am feeling sorry for myself right now. Ha ha! I know I will be ok. And that she will do well back in the states. I am just grieving her leaving. (hey that rhymes.)
It is hard NOT to list off all the important people leaving. So I am gonna embrace it and just list it off as well. My friend, Brent Dongell, has been a real awesome guy. God really used him when I was in the states to stay encouraged on the road to getting to NZ (you see, it took a while, haha). And Brent has a very special "can-do" / problem solver way about him and it was most helpful this past year or so. He has been such a friend in this process. But, alas, so much time has passed. Now that I have arrived, he is leaving. Gutted!
John, a friend from Never The Same camp leaves tomorrow. He is such a goober. Love the kid. Love his voice. Justin Beiber ain't got nothing on him, mmmk! Haha. (Reference Joke).
But I know that God knows what is up... so I just gotta trust that, right?! We will see how it goes!!