Monday, June 18, 2012

This makes me so angry.

Construction (road works).

Traffic.

Rush hour.

Sitting still on the motorway.

Bumper to bumper.

When it comes to driving, expedience is my #1 priority. I devote a lot of mental time to make sure I never back track and take the shortest route everywhere I go. So you can see how getting lost, stuck in traffic and the constant (literally, constant) construction on the roads frustrates me to no end.

Before I moved to Auckland I had no concept of what true traffic is. I
can't count how many times the motor way is jammed or just closed off. Literally, the BRIDGE will be closed at night with no notice. And a huge detour ensues. Costing me time and gas.

Ok, this is not just a rant (but starts as one) but I will get to a point :)

Story. One day, I hit both road works and a detour in a matter of blocks and honestly, it made my blood boil. It brought up all the memories of having been redirected and slowed down in the past 2 years. As I was brooding to myself, I was thinking, I wanna complain to the whole world... I will tweet or FB the world so they can know how annoyed I am!

As I was thinking this, I followed the detour down a side street in the heart of Auckland. Suddenly my heart sunk and my anger dissipated. Standing there on the street corner on this cold night was a young woman in a short skirt, way too much make-up and an eager look into the passing cars. I can only guess what was passing through her mind: "Perhaps this car will stop and I will get paid tonight?"

When I saw her, a thought came to my mind...Or a question, actually. I get so angry about traffic but when confronted with this woman's reality, shouldn't I be angry that people shaped in God's image get sucked into a profession (which is completely legal in NZ) that uses their body in such a way that is dehumanizing? What is her story? What got her to this place? Why is the world so broken? And the gift of sex become so perverted?

Which should make my blood boil? Which should be on my mind, twitter and Fb? Traffic?? Injustice? Which one should be getting my attention? It's not a matter of either/or, really. But I felt this conviction that I get more angry about traffic that the injustices against to humanity.

To be honest, I just have thoughts at this point. I don't have any profound suggestions... Just questions. But I guess everything has a start.

I wonder if you have any thoughts on that?