Sunday, July 19, 2009

So much to say...

The last few weeks and the upcoming weeks are/have been very eventful. So much to write! But I will keep it brief and post more later. This past week was Never The Same youth camp in Houghton, NY. I went with my home church from Buffalo, Eastern Hills Wesleyan, it was an amazing time to reconnect with the same students I have had in past years. I've loved watching these kids grow up and I am so privileged to be a part of their faith journey. I love getting to lead the youth in small group discussion and helping them to process what they were learning.


The camp's theme was "The Box" and breaking out of the box that we have put ourselves and/or God into. "It's rare to feel like we can be exactly who we were created to be and most of the time it feels like we are trapped in a box. A box created by the expectations of family, friends, past choices, a reputation...the list goes on and on. It might seem crazy to think that you can actually live completely free from the box that has been built around you." (ntscamp.com)

I loved watching the kids trying to understand what their "boxes" were/realizing that they existed and how to break free. I am realizing over and over again, I want to break free from the things that bind, but I can only do it through God. I believe that the Holy Spirit of God is dwelling within me and it is the work of the Holy Spirit within me that sets me free from my afflictions/addictions. So often I try to become the person God wants me to be on my own strength, but its not meant to be this way. Again, I am giving in and letting God work within me to break out of the boxes to worship him freely.