
Friday, I was sitting comfortably in the sun at a Starbucks, snuggled up in a big, squishy chair (which everyone knows is impossible to get) with my One Year Bible waiting for my friend to arrive. When she arrived we drank tea, chatted about the holidays, and caught up on life. And as with most Starbucks conversations I had been venting about some life stuff that was frustrating me... and this woman sits down in one of the comfy chairs right beside us. Well, I am seriously ADD, particularly in conversations... sometimes I will be in the middle of saying something and then I will catch an ear of someone else's conversation and start listening then realize people are looking at me waiting for me to finish my sentence. Case and point, this little rant. Ok, back to the story, this lady sits down and I am trying to ignore her a little so I can continue to listen and talk with my friend.
Eventually I finish chatting with my dear friend and she leaves. After I hug her and sit back down I notice the lady has moved into the spot my friend was sitting in, at first I thought "awkwaaard, " ok, I'll just move. But as I was going to move, the lady was so nice, she was like, "oh no, don't leave on my account..." She must have overheard our convo or saw the Bible or something and was like "what church do you go to?" I'm like hmmm, random, who is this lady? We go on to chat and it turns out her husband (who was sitting next to her) both graduated from the same college as me (Houghton College in NY) and he is a pastor at a local church. We get to talking and they are the sweetest people ever, we exchanged some life stories, talked about some mutual friends and old professors, and life stuff. As our convo wrapped up I wanted to be sure to stay connected with them, so her husband hands me his business card, but get this, beneath his card is a bill with Ben Franklin's face smiling at me. Just like that. To put towards New Zealand. Total strangers. But not strangers at all, really. The common bond of brother/sisterhood among those who are believers in Jesus Christ, both wanting people to know Christ. Unbelievable. But so believable.
This is just one of the many "random" but not so random encounters from a Starbucks frequenter.
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21