Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Why New Zealand?

A year ago I had no idea what I was going to actually be doing after graduation. All I knew is that I felt a call to minister and work with young people. So I transferred from University of Buffalo to Houghton College in fall of 2006 to get a Theology and Ministry degree. God has taught me so much these past 4 years. Some lessons were very tough; no doubt God is preparing me for the hardships that will come in the life of ministry. Well graduation has come and gone...


Over the past year, I kept on hearing stuff about New Zealand. Everywhere. Seriously. Ads, news, people, radio,t.v., everywhere. (Weeeird). Well, I have come to know that although the islands of New Zealand are known for its breath-taking beauty, it is the most secular, English speaking nation in the WORLD. It is very post-Christian and there is an entire generation with little to no knowledge of the GOSPEL! The desperation of this country is seen in the youth. NZ has the #1 highest rate of teenage suicide, abortion and drug use (per capita in the developed world). What a contrast to the natural beauty of the country!


As someone who is passionate about God and youth, this breaks my heart. I am so thankful that the Wesleyan-Methodist Church (WMCNZ) is alive and growing. I have just been appointed as a Global Partners missionary to New Zealand and have the opportunity to join where God is moving by working with the national church, particularly with the youth. I will be able to reach and teach (using that Houghton degree!!) and I couldn't be more excited to live out the truth, grace, and hope of the Gospel in NZ! My vision is to encourage the believers there, bring the tools I;ve been given and equip the church, build relationships with the Kiwi people (New Zealanders), and impact this beautiful place for God. I will be living in New Zealand for two years, giving a good amount of time to build relationships and share the message of Jesus Christ! Please pray for me as I am preparing and raising support!! If you want to commit to being a prayer partner, please email me: ssgareyNZ@gmail.com with the Subject Line: “Prayer Partner” and include your Name, Spouse's Name, Home Address, Phone Number, and Birthday so we can keep in contact.
Thanks for being a partner in ministry!