Looking back over the days spent in the mountains, I was struck again how God uses wilderness experiences to teach and speak to his children. The original Hebrew term, mid-bar, describes wilderness as a desolate, lonely and challeging place; the Israelites wandered in the wilderness for 40 years, Jesus was lead into the wilderness for 40 days. Although the wilderness may be that which is beyond civilization, comfort, and modern conveniences, wilderness is a good place to learn, go back to basics, and connect with God.
I can see how God used the wilderness in the same way today with the students on the Houghton Highlander Adventure Program. I watched as the group was challenged by the terrain and each other. Each student left behind friends, family home, and everything that was familiar to head into the woods with complete strangers and do things they had never done before. Each day brought something new: rock clim
bing, repelling, canoeing, camping, back packing, being completely alone in the woods, not showering [for 10 days straight], etc. Some days were very hard and frustrating. But every challenge was an opportunity for growth; how do I overcome this frustration when I am tired, dirty and annoyed? These times of intense labor (climbing mountains, canoeing for hours), working with a team, and being alone in nature before God have a strong affect on your relationship with the Lord because, honestly for me, I realize how much I need him. I realize I can not hike this mountain in my own strength, or lead these people and you I see how God works in a whole new way. And that is what these programs are about; connecting with God. It is awesome to have people learn the ways of the wild but the intent is provide an opportunity to experience God in a new way. God often uses nature and wilderness to teach us, when we are really ready to listen. Praise God, our team "The Boo-Ya-Kitties" were willing to learn and I saw them grow so much! Hopefully they will take these wilderness lessons with them as then enter a new stage in life.
Standing in front of the Inlet to the Oswegatchie River of the Adirondacks Mountains, upstate NY) where we had canoed for 2 days (upstream, I might add) before hitting the trail.
Left to right: Jon, Bekah, Liz, Zach, Rachel, Lindsey, (bottom) Corinne, Me, Gabe (my co-leader), Mark... these students are so solid, I have so much respect for them.
They gave the leaders these sweet Highlander Adventure shirts
Check out a few more photos of Highlander on facebook (there are only a few bc my batts were low)
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2184976&l=8726f&id=15721256
