Thursday, December 15, 2011

Oh Christmas Tree!!


Out of frugality and creativity my friends and I decided we're going to MAKE our tree... we were inspired by this cute idea online using scrap lumber. The neighbors are remodeling their house so there was plenty of choice of scrap wood in the giant bin outside their house. My flatmate's cousin Dan jumped right in there and we hauled out our treasure! 

Cutting the palett- Dan  is making the base and I am making the trunk of the tree

I love using tools :)

The base and the trunk completed

Jess (flatmate) and I measured and cut each piece of wood to go on the tree 


Assembly completed and into the lounge" (living) room! 

Completed decorated and DONE!

Best part about this tree: it COMPLETELY free. It only cost us time (which is also a valuable commodity). Every piece was assembled from stuff we already had around the house, rubbish picked or given to us. The ornaments came from one neighbor, we borrowed the saw from another, we made the little angels from old Christmas cards, traced and cut out from cookie cutters attached by little tiny clothes pins to some twine. There are tea light candles, beads we found, and little weird bunny rabbit ornaments towards the top. Ha! I now feel like it is Christmas :)

Reading out of the children's story book Bible, the story of Christmas :)  

Jess and I are totally "chuffed" (quite pleased : delighted) with ourselves and our creation :)