Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I got Ordained.

On September 11, 2001 I got ordained with the Wesleyan Church (of USA). There was service dedicating our lives in service to God and the church. I definitely felt the significance and privilege of getting to live life alongside people as a "Reverend". And on a lighter note, you can call me Rev, I know you wanna, everyone else does. 
 I don't think I realized its kinda a big deal and I definitley have been down playing the significance, but wowzas, its a really really big deal. I feel like I married the church. The ceremony was special and people came that I didn't even realize I should invite... and all these pastors that have known me my entire life and are part of my journey were there to celebrate with me. It was so special. I am so stoked that God has called me into a life of ministry.
Saying our "vows" to promise to be faithful in our service to God and the Church
So many people have asked how it works, so I will do a little synopsis... basically I felt a call into some kind of ministry (full time) when I was in high school. I really didn't know what it would look like, for a while I thought I'd be teaching Spanish and then serving overseas during Summer. But God guides me one step at a time but eventually lead me down another path into youth ministry. I love teenagers and all the complexities of relationships at that stage. I felt a strong call into youth ministry and transferred to Houghton College in 2008 to pursue my ministry degree so I could get my education in Theology. It was at this point that I got onto the "Ordination Track" and it starts with schooling, taking certain classes that give me a solid Christian and Biblical foundation to do any kind of ministry. During the 2 years of school I was meeting with a District Board of Ministerial Development aka a bunch of pastors and wise ministry lay leaders to check in with me on how my understanding of God, doctrine and theology is growing. They are in charge of discerning whether people are cut out for ministry life as well. So after a couple years of that I completed the required classes and became a licensed pastor to Shore Grace Church and New Zealand. Then  I completed time as a licensed pastor (get expirience, see if I actually wanna do it long term). After that, than I can ask to be considered for Ordination. Again I come before the board and have a conversation. Then it is up to their discernment if they think that I could serve as a Pastor in the Welseyan Church. They decided I was legit and ordination is outward way of saying I want to serve in this capacity for the rest of my life and that they recognize God's call and confirm it. So then there is a service to honor that and then BAM I am a Reverend! Crazy, aye!?

 So now I am a Reverend, if ya ever feel like getting married, I can perform that, haha! Also I get to be a person who assists in funerals and communion. So its pretty special. Looking forward to seeing how this whole Reverend thing works out. I do hope I don't sound irreverent when I joke about being a "rev" etc but the seriousness of it all is sometimes too much for me, so I joke about it. But I am so honored that I get to be a part of God's unfolding story in this capacity....