Wednesday, May 18, 2011

White Band Day- ANTIBULLYING in Albany Jr. Hi

I love being a youth worker at Albany Junior High!! I am already making some meaningful connections with kids; I've sat in on art, PE, and drama classes, chatted during lunches and interval times, and trying my best to remember names- its actually become quite a game, actually. I met a heap of year 7 kids (12ish yrs old) and spent like 15 minutes just testing me on their names (a thought just occurred, I should really look up some name games- know any goodies?) Today at assembly Joel introduced me and I got to say a few words- how I'm here for the kids and what I'll be doing is developing as I grow with the school. Everyone seems to be so supportive of what we (Joel and I) are doing. Woohoo! 

Here are few pic from today's activities:

It was a "Mufty day" aka no uniforms so they asked the kids to wear white in support of anti-bullying- of course I went all out and wore white head to toe. I didn't bring shoes so I played in bare feet (which is totally socially acceptable). My ankle has been messed up for weeks but I still played hard! 

Playing hockey with the Police and school staff- so intense...its so cool the Police come to do community activities with the kids and raise awareness that Bullying is actually a legally punishable offense; i.e. hitting is assault, etc. 
Joel is the youth worker I work alongside- he does a fantastic job and can use our PRAYERS. He's also studying Counseling at College at the moment- its a lot at one time!