Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Letter to my SLD Road Trip friends



DUDES!!! I love and miss you ALL!! Like WHOA!

The last night when we were singing together was a holy moment. There we were in a renovated Hip-Hop church in a poor city in Ohio giving our voices to God with one guitar and 25 lives/ stories. As I was singing with you guys, I just paused and looked around at your faces... and I saw your hearts. Hearts that are dedicated to seeking and loving God. And I was broken by it. Seeing young people and your desire to worship God and reach into the world in all its brokenness and pain to make a difference for Christ is overwhelming to me. There is so much hopelessness in this world. There is so much doubt and confusion surrounding your generation. Maybe even there is a sense of waiting- waiting until the right moment to fulfill your destiny or to serve God in the way he desires. But that time is now. You are not the future of the church, YOU ARE THE CHURCH. The church is the body of Christ and I saw the body at work this week. I am astounded. I felt like Moses when he approached the burning bush and God said to him; "Do not come any closer, take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy ground." As I removed my shoes and worshipped alongside you, I felt a renewed sense of hope that brought tears to my eyes. What would the world look like if young people all over the world pursued God with everything that they have, surrendering themselves and sacrificing their lives for God?

It was such an honor and privilege to get to be a part of your lives for this past week. And I am hoping that it won't be limited to just one week! :-) I'm keeping my eyes on you guys! Each one of you is a world changer, and when you work together=amaz-za-zing. Remember what Jeff Eckart had said the first night; "The best gift you can give to someone is your intimacy with God."And as Dan taught us about the fire, laying one piece of wood close to the other to keep the fire going strong, I pray that you'll continue to build a strong foundation and keep the fire strong.

All the things that we have been through; homeless shelters, inner city children's VBS, food banks, fun in Canada, burning buildings, stuck at the border, habitat for humanity, friends of the night, deep discussions, mighty taco at 11pm, talking with people & inviting people to a music festival, assassinating each other, writing/singing songs, laughing together and really enjoying one another... I pray that it wouldn't just be a good week of fun and great people, but a week where God changed the course of your life, or confirmed his call on your life.

Much much love to you guys. Thanks for everything this last week. Stay in touch with each other. The world is small, you never know how our lives may intersect again!!